Reduce Waste and Save Water with Sustainable Plumbing Practices and Flow Pros
So many companies and individuals are looking for ways to be a bit more environmentally friendly. And Flow Pros Plumbing includes the importance of sustainable plumbing practices in the race to become more planet conscientious.
In a recent article, Forbes reported on the statistics of a study that investigated people and their interest in environmentally sustainable efforts. And the results were as follows:
“93% of all surveyed indicated a general concern for the environment with plastic pollution (40.1%), biodiversity loss (39.1%), and climate change (38%) deemed the top three issues.”
Furthermore, Forbes reported that “77% of individuals are wanting to learn more about sustainable lifestyles.”
That said, Flow Pros Plumbing is joining in the efforts to help the planet and educate clients on how their plumbing can become more environmentally friendly.
Statistics for Sustainable Plumbing Practices
When plumbing is more sustainable, we all win. Here is what we mean. Did you know that we use 3% of our electricity to move and filter our drinking water per year? Then close to 20% of a household’s energy use is just for heating the water we use.
If you want to decrease those numbers, there are several ways you can. Your local plumbing company can help you save water, energy, and money and become more in tune with the planet.
- Toilets can utilize less water.
- Faucets can use aerators to reduce the amount of water being pushed out per minute.
- Showerheads can be updated to efficient and new showerheads.
- Tankless water heaters will help consume less and waste less.
- And repairs to all of the working parts of the home can help significantly.
More Efficient Toilets
Most people purchasing a new toilet don’t even think of looking for a bathroom that reduces water waste by having a max of gallons per flush. Some toilets are rated for just that. Try looking for a toilet that uses a maximum of 1.28 gallons per flush. And there are even toilets that have a button to flush liquids only and a separate button for solid waste flushes. Ask your plumber which is the best for your home and usage.
Faucets that Support Sustainable Plumbing Practices
Just like toilets, faucets can be set to maximum output per minute. When you add an aerator to your faucets, they will be limited as to the flow, but you will probably never even notice. Look for a faucet aerator that only allows for 1.5 gallons per minute. Your local plumber can easily install these aerators.
Updated Shower Heads
Consider getting a new showerhead for your home. You see, the showerheads of today can also reduce output. A more efficient showerhead will only use 2.0 gallons of water per minute. And again, you most likely won’t even notice the difference.
Tankless Water Heaters Reduce Water Waste
Tankless water heaters are 34% more efficient than regular water heaters. And they provide an unlimited amount of hot water without having to drain the tank of unused water.
General Repairs Put Sustainable Plumbing Practices into Action
Of course, there are plenty of things your plumber can tweak to help you save water quickly and without much change. In those cases, you will save money on your water bill and be helping out the planet. Now that is a win, win! Here are some of the easy repairs that can make a huge difference in your water usage.
- Fix all leaking fixtures.
- Repair leaking pipes
- Have your sprinkler system checked for leads and faulty heads.
- Turn the faucet off when you are brushing your teeth and more.
- Shut the water supply off when you are not home for an extended amount of time.
In addition, you can have your local plumbing company install pressure-reducing valves on the main water line.
The Challenges of Sustainable Plumbing
If you have ever wondered how the plumbing industry affects the environment, Flow Pros Plumbing has the answers. And even if the thought has never crossed your mind, there are a few things you should know if you are interested in being more environmentally conscientious in all areas of your life.
Wasteful and inefficient plumbing practices can do much environmental damage. Here are some examples of poor practices.
- Substandard materials can pollute the environment.
- Those materials can also prove to alter the health of those within the home.
- Poor materials waste water, energy, time, and money.
- Some materials are problematic to dispose of and cannot be reused or recycled.
That is why environmentally concerned people should always look for a plumbing company that can meet the challenges of today’s sustainable plumbing practices.
Business Make Efforts Towards More Sustainable Plumbing
Businesses worldwide are looking for ways to be more enviro-aware. Those companies can certainly start the process with a few minor adjustments. Those adjustments may look like this:
- Encourage the company to reduce paper water.
- Promote water-saving appliances in the office and at home.
- Recycle paper, plastic, old pipes, and appliances.
- Convert to eco-friendly and durable materials.
- Market products and practices that save energy.
- Insulate and repair all lines inside and outside.
- Install solar power panels wherever applicable.
- And more.
When plumbing businesses think more sustainably within the field, the result is long-term benefits for the company and the planet. In fact, many consumers look for companies that know how to reduce, reuse, recycle, and be more enviro-aware.
- Sustainable practices may cost initially but save money in the long run.
- Businesses focused on being environmentally safe and sustainable attract customers and employees.
- You can reduce your own carbon footprint by participating at home and in the field.
Note: If you want to go the extra mile, consider learning about greywater and rainwater harvesting. Simply put, greywater Is lightly used and re-filtered water. And greywater systems reuse water from sinks, showers, and the laundry. Furthermore, rain catchers can assist in watering the lawn.
Adopting sustainable plumbing practices will grow your business and ensure your company is prepared to change with the up-and-coming preferences of homeowners today.
A Summary of Sustainable Plumbing Practices
Businesses of all kinds should start to think more sustainably within the field and at home. After all, it is the way of the world today, and the vast majority are becoming involved with eco-friendly practices. In addition, the long-term benefits of adopting these practices are too great to ignore.
If you want to…
- Save money in the future
- Add more interest and attract more clients
- Gain responsible employees
- Reduce your impact on the planet
- And gain your market share of jobs in the area that are showing green initiative to be of importance…
…then, stay relevant in the business world by thinking sustainably and taking responsibility for your businesses’ impact on the environment.
For all your plumbing needs, including sustainable plumbing measures to add to your home or office, contact Flow Pros. Our technicians are ready to help take you into the future of a healthier planet with sustainable plumbing measures and more.
Contact Flow Pros Plumbing for an environmental impact evaluation today.