The holidays are here, and everyone is beginning to buzz around in a hurry to prepare. And if you are having guests at your home this holiday season, you are busier than ever. There is the house to clean, meals to prepare, and plenty of merry to make. The last thing on your mind is the plumbing in your home. But if you get a clogged drain, you will have a big problem right in the middle of your holidays. No one has time for that. So, at Flow Pros Plumbing, we recommend you schedule your drain cleaning and clearing before the holidays.
Here are some of the suggestions the Flow Pros Plumbers have for your plumbing holiday maintenance and more.
Do You Need Drain Cleaning and Clearing?
If you are asking whether you need drain cleaning and clearing, you probably do. You see, drains need occasional cleaning and clearing to avoid those costly clogs, and slow running drains. Therefore, if you have any of the following conditions, call for drain cleaning and clearing right away.
- When your sinks are draining slowly, there may be a blockage.
- If the toilet always seems to overflow, there may be sewer line issues.
- There is a definite clog in the pipes or sewer when water backs up into your sinks or tubs.
- Do you smell a foul odor coming from the kitchen drains? That is a sign of an impending blockage.
- Is there a strange sound coming from the pipes, like a gurgling? You may have a partial blockage.
- Are fruit flies in your kitchen coming from the sink drains? Fruit flies love the smell of a clogged drain, and they are a health risk.
Clogs and blockages don’t simply relieve themselves. In fact, the longer they go untreated, the worse they will get. And eventually, your pipes can burst. In those cases, do not hesitate to reach out for professional help from your local plumber.
Drains that Require Cleaning and Clearing
Most homeowners don’t realize just how many drains there are in a house. There are several, and many of them are connected. So, if you have a problem with one, it can affect all the drains and pipes in the home. Here are some of the drains that need cleaning regularly.
- Kitchen drains
- Bathroom tub and sink drains
- Utility room drains
- Roof drains
- Restroom floor drains
- Outdoor drains
- Sewer Drains
- And Commercial Drains
Each drain has its specific cleanout and service needs, and our plumbers know just what they are doing. No job is too big or too small. Call Flow Pros for all your sewer and drain cleaning and clearing.
Common Drain Clog Causes
As you can imagine, there are many reasons a drain can get clogged. Here are some of the reasons your home’s drains may need to be cleaned or cleared.
- Material blockage
- Excess scum buildup
- Sticky foods like pasta and rice
- Grease and fatty buildup
- Hair buildup
- And pipe corrosion or intrusion
Call your local experts at Flow Pros Plumbing to get the blockage out and clean the drain correctly the first time without causing pipe damage.
What to Expect with Drain Cleaning and Clearing
With excellent 24/7 service, the plumbers at Flow Pros Plumbing will clean out those pipes, so they are draining like new. Our plumbers use several methods to get your pipes clean and clear and running freely.
Video Camera Pipe Inspection: Underlying problems are discovered with cameras. Then, if the pipe is cracked, corroded, or has a large block, we can identify the treatment needed.
High-Pressure Water Jets: Cleaning drains and sewer lines are best accomplished with a water jet made from a flexible hose, which altogether removes buildup in no time.
These are just two of the ways a professional plumber is to your benefit when diagnosing a plumbing clog. A plumber will arrive with the right tools and augers to get the job done right the first time.
Drain cleaning flushes your pipes, and drain clearing removes a known blockage. Your plumber will know which one you need after they inspect the home.
And then, while they are there, they can help with other plumbing holiday plumbing checklists.
Additional Plumbing Checklist for the Holidays
With so much to do around the holiday season, no one wants another checklist. However, this checklist will help you avoid major plumbing issues that will put a significant damper on your festivities. So here I what we suggest you do in addition to scheduling your drain cleaning and clearing.
- Clean Your Garbage Disposal: The kitchen and disposal get so much use during this time. So, cleaning it preemptively is a great idea. There are cleaning tabs you can purchase to clean out any gunk buildup.
- Place a Garbage Can in Each Bathroom: If a guest cannot find the trash can, they may be tempted to flush things that should not be flushed. To prevent a mishap, place a can in each bathroom where the guest can access it with ease.
- Perform Preventative Drain Cleaning: A slow drain can be a big problem when more than one person uses your bathrooms. Clearing those drains professionally is the best way to ensure they are ready to go for the holidays. But in the meantime, you can do minor cleaning on your own.
DIY Drain Cleaning and Clearing
Once you have scheduled preventative drain cleaning and clearing with your local plumbers, you can also do additional cleaning between visits. Here is what we suggest you do to keep your drains clear this holiday season.
- Please do not use chemical drain cleaners. They may seem like a quick fix, but they can corrode the inside of your pipes and lead to more significant issues.
- Try a vinegar and hot water solution. The acid in the vinegar will break down the grease and organic debris. Pour the vinegar in and let it sit for a few hours. Then flush it out with hot water.
- Baking soda and vinegar is another solution. Sprinkle the baking soda into your drains and pour the vinegar on top. Let that solution do its magic for a couple of hours, then rinse with hot water.
- If you have a particular sink or shower that gets clogged with hair, you may want to install drain strainers for the season to avoid a costly repair at just the wrong time.
Flow Pros Provides Professional Drain Cleaning and Clearing
Flow Pros Plumbing professionals perform routine maintenance and sewer and drain cleaning. If your home or business has floor drains, downspout drains, storm drains, and sewer drains, we’ve got you covered at Flow Pros Plumbing.
Flow Pros offers professional residential and commercial plumbing services to Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Dunedin, Safety Harbor, Palm Harbor, and customers from all over Tampa Bay. We are a licensed and bonded team of professional plumbers for residential and commercial plumbing. You can count on our 24-hour service day or night for all your plumbing problems.